The Rey-Drive Package
With the popularity of e-bikes skyrocketing, at Reynolds we have spent the last few years diving into the concept of e-bikes and how we could make a system that would benefit our custom builders. We started this project back in 2017 as part of the Niche Vehicle Network and have spent the years since researching and learning about motors, batteries, controllers, and how we could integrate this into what we do now.
We have partnered with Mahle to develop a launch system that will integrate with custom builders’ designs, using their design and fabrication knowledge, and integrating it with an E-drive system that riders will enjoy using.
What Reynolds Will Be Offering
Our Reynolds package of parts will complement the Mahle X20 system, allowing custom builders the freedom of design that they are used to with our tubes. There are 3 main parts to the Rey-Drive system:
- Steel and Titanium dropouts: These house the Mahle drive connector unit, are available both machined and 3D printed, and run standard 12/142 as well as SRAM UDH.
- External frame bag: We partnered with our friends at Restrap to create this bag, which houses the battery and motor, and has a 490mm length. It is suitable for frames with a top tube over 490 in length. This external system offers a neat package for those wanting to electrify more traditional-looking frames.
- Extender cables: These give frame builders complete freedom, allowing them to run the cables either internally through the downtube and chainstay to the drop-out, or externally from the battery pack and down the seat tube.
Reynolds’ partnership with Mahle enables us to offer the X20 system to custom builders as part of the complete package, including all the optional accessories, and bespoke configuration of the Mahle phone app.
How Will This System Benefit Our Customers and Frame Builders in the UK and EU?
We are very excited to be launching Rey-Drive, our solution to offer custom builders the option to create and fabricate an e-bike to suit their riding style, by integrating our tubing with the Mahle X20 system and Reynolds specifically designed parts. This package allows frames to go from a standard 12*142mm system into an e-bike with only a few changes.
Below you can see our lightweight prototypes that showcase this system and we have also made a video explaining how the X20 system works, and some insight into the parts that come as part of the REYDRIVE package.
Some of the key highlights of the Rey-Drive system include:
- Removable e-drive parts allow swops between the Mahle and standard 12*142mm axles, for an all-in-one bike AND an e-bike.
- Only adds around 3.2 kg to a custom bike for the X20 system parts.
- Recyclable and sustainable Reynolds frame materials, for durable and repairable bike frames.
- Custom electronic cable extenders to facilitate cable routing for each frame design.
- Custom Reynolds/Restrap external battery bag (hung under the top tube– minimum length 490mm).
- Modular, replaceable parts for bike shops or riders who do their own bike maintenance.
- Backed by Mahle warranty and durability founded on many years of automotive manufacturing.
- Mobile phone app to tailor the X20 response, monitor energy usage, and remote fault diagnosis if needed.
In case you were wondering about Ben Bike and Val Bike – at Reynolds frames tend to get named after the original frame builder. In these instances Ben Yarnold (Teme Cycles Islabikes) and Valdemiro in Portugal.
Contact our team to learn more!